Sunday, June 24, 2012

Back to our Belizean home!!

The kids and I just arrived back to our beautiful condo in San Pedro, Belize yesterday after a long and exhausting trip. I plan to blog almost every day during our 2 weeks here so watch for updates!

We were up at 3 am Friday morning (I stared at the ceiling from about 2 am onwards...) and headed to Detroit for our 6 am flight. I had planned to stay at the DTW Westin which we always do but Murphy (our Corgi) was limping badly and we ended up on a 2 hour tour to the vets so decided to stay home, relax and just get up early and drive in. Poor Tommy always has to get up at 4 am for work and I robbed him of a sleep in day. Oh well...

Flights were easy and uneventful although - note to self - NEVER declare alcohol that you bring into the country!! I stupidly decided to admit to bringing some wine in and was charged $32 for the privilege of bringing my own wine into their country!! I only paid $21 for it to begin with!! I was SO FURIOUS at the obvious ripping off of tourists just because they can. Really sucked the joy out of the beginning of our vacation. Took me an hour to shake it off. Poo.



my spoiled kids...Jen is groovin on her own personal cubicle chair at the Delta Worldclub!




then even more spoiled... a bump to first class. Wine for Mom!! :-)




A happy form to fill out



onto the Tropic Air flight



and headed to Ambergris Caye






my favorite little town where golf carts are the preferred mode of transportation!






this is our sweet Mango puppy that we brought back from Belize 2 years ago... miss her terribly




and look who showed up at the condo! I swear it's a close relation to her!






could be her brother, father... who knows




so when we travel to the island we pack things like peanut butter, coffee, wine etc. This jar of Jiffy in the grocery store was...guess how much...


$20 US!!!



SAGA Humane society tent at lobsterfest



Jen can't wait to get there to volunteer. She volunteered at the shelter almost every day last trip (which is how we ended up bringing home our sweet Mango...) We packed a HUGE bag full of dog toys, cat toys, and other things that Saga needs to donate. Customs lady when going through the bag of stuff said "do you have a dog there?" and I quickly said YES! Can't imagine how much they would have taxed me for our donation!!



Full out steel band and reggae music was a blast!



the streets were jammin




and only in San Pedro do you find someone in full-out pimp daddy attire riding a motorcycle. He had a floppy pimp hat, shiny leather jacket, the pants speak for themselves and black and white cowhide boots with SPURS!! Hahahaha! I swear this will be Tommy's new look when we retire here!!

That's it for day one...until tomorrow!








4 comments:

  1. Your dog looks JUST like one that lives around me...by Marina's in San Pedro. I think you've got it right...definitely related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read with horror on FB that the San Pedro town council conducted a poisoning of stray dogs today. Please tell me that's not true! And if so let me know if our sweet red dog is still around and OK. That makes me SICK

      Delete
    2. not sure if you got my former reply or not but in case you didn't I'll repost:

      So the dog that you see in this pic IS actually the dog that lives by Marinas! He is so friendly and came by several times and we fed him. I was told by our security guards that he lives by Marinas. He looks exactly like our sweet Mango who we brought home from Saga as a 6 week old puppy 2 years ago. They MUST be related!!

      Delete
  2. So the dog that you see in this pic IS actually the dog that lives by Marinas! He is so friendly and came by several times and we fed him. I was told by our security guards that he lives by Marinas. He looks exactly like our sweet Mango who we brought home from Saga as a 6 week old puppy 2 years ago. They MUST be related!!

    ReplyDelete