Monday, September 19, 2011

Homemade Chinese night featuring General Tso's Chicken!

WOW! That's all I can say about this recipe! Easy to make and everyone raved about it! This is certainly a restaurant quality recipe. I tweaked the recipe a bit and added a few touches that others who reviewed it suggested and it was fantastic. My recipe was adapted from this one:

http://chinese.food.com/recipe/mean-guys-general-tsos-chicken-52488


Ingredients:

Servings:

4
Units: US | Metric

Directions:

  1. 1
    In a large bowl, thoroughly blend the 1/2 cup of cornstarch and the eggs; add the chicken and toss to coat.
  2. 2
    If the mixture is too thick, add some vegetable oil to separate the pieces.
  3. 3
    In a small bowl, prepare the sauce mixture by combining the 2 tsp cornstarch with the wine, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce.
  4. 4
    First-Stage Frying: Heat 1-2 inches of peanut oil in a wok to medium-high heat (350-400).
  5. 5
    Fry the chicken in small batches, just long enough to cook the chicken through.
  6. 6
    Remove the chicken to absorbent paper and allow to stand (this step can be performed well in advance, along with the sauce mixture, with both refrigerated).
  7. 7
    Second-Stage Frying: Leave a tablespoon or two of the oil in the wok.
  8. 8
    Add the pepper pods to the oil and stir-fry briefly, awakening the aroma but not burning them.
  9. 9
    Return the chicken to the wok and stir-fry until the pieces are crispy brown.
  10. 10
    The General's Favorite Sauce: Add the sauce-mixture to the wok, tossing over the heat until the sauce caramelizes into a glaze (1-2 minutes).
  11. 11
    Serve immediately.
  12. 12
    Serves 4, along with steamed broccoli and rice.


Read more: http://chinese.food.com/recipe/mean-guys-general-tsos-chicken-52488#ixzz1YOUyVgcn



I had way more chicken than the recipe called for and had planned to double the amount of sauce but ended up quadrupling it. I likely had 3-4 pounds of chicken so it ended up being the amount the original recipe called for as far as the sauce goes. It was fine but for a pound of chicken I would double it next time. I added about a tablespoon of sesame oil, fresh grated ginger, crushed garlic (of course) and some crushed red pepper to the sauce. I also sauteed broccoli with the red peppers and topped it off with chopped green onions and sesame seeds. It was the best General Tso's chicken recipe I've ever tried and everyone who tried it, kids, hubby and some of the ladies from the 'hood absolutely raved about it!!



I dried some red peppers that I grew in our backyard first



This is by far the best batter I've ever used. Just whipped up eggs and cornstarch.


Fry up the chicken in small batches in peanut oil. I had too much chicken in the pan here...


I sauteed broccoli with the red peppers. I wish I had crushed a few of the peppers because there was very little heat to the dish. The more red peppers you crush the spicier the dish.



Top it off with chopped green onions and sesame seed and enjoy!


Served it over brown jasmine rice and YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm....I usually don't use thighs....I'm a breast man, myself....

    ReplyDelete